Silver amalgam fillings have been used in dentistry for hundreds of years. Over 50% of amalgam fillings contain Mercury, which is a known neurotoxin, and can cause detrimental health effects to the human body in large quantities. The use of these mercury fillings have been banned in many places in the world, including the European Union. However, a significant portion of the population still have numerous large amalgam fillings to this day!
Risks/Complications of Large Amalgam Fillings
- Vertical cracks and fractures that may result in root canal or loss of tooth
- Permanent gray metallic discoloration within tooth and gums from metal breakdown
- Exposure to harmful mercury vapors with continued breakdown of amalgam fillings
Dr. Jin and his team at Dentex Dental are committed to keeping our patients safe and will assist in the safe removal of these harmful materials and replacing them with the latest, clinically proven, biocompatible materials.
- Proper patient isolation barriers and high powered suction will be used to ensure safe removal of metal fillings and minimize patient exposure
- Dr. Jin will work with his patients to determine the best, most conservative, and biocompatible materials to restore health, esthetics, and function.
Porcelain fillings are also called “inlays” or “onlays”, they are the only available dental material that is mercury-free, metal-free, and BPA-free. It is a much stronger and durable material that allows for maximum esthetic and functional results.
Advantages of Porcelain Fillings
- Much stronger and more durable than composite fillings
- Most esthetically pleasing
- Conservative tooth preparation which allows for preservation of natural tooth structure
- Strong bonds to natural tooth
- Resistant to staining
- Resistant to chipping compared to composite fillings